When you are a business owner, you’ve got a lot on your plate. Despite your hardest work and the amount of effort you put in, somehow your competitors are still outranking you on search engine result pages (SERPs) and getting more attention on social media platforms. What are they doing that you aren’t?
There are many benefits of looking into what your competition is doing in order for you to increase your success. Begin by looking at search engine rankings. Where do you rank in comparison to your competitors? What keywords are your competitors ranking on SERPs?
If they rank higher than you on SERPs, consider their auditing their website. You don’t have to use any fancy tools- although there are plenty out there to help with the auditing process. Instead, visit their website and look for a few things:
- What is the speed of their website?
- Does their site have responsive design so it’s compatible on mobile devices?
- Are their social media accounts integrated into the design of the website?
- Do they have a blog on their website?
- Does your competition use videos or podcasts?
- Is there a key call-to-action on the homepage?
- Are there calls-to-action across the site?
- Does your competition use unique approaches?
- What unique selling points (USPs) are your competitors promoting on their website?
Next, visit their social media accounts. When looking at their social media services profiles, look for these:
- What social media platforms are your competitors using?
- What type of content do they share on their social media?
Use what you have learned about your competition and compare it to what you are doing. What are they doing that you can learn from? If they are active on social media platforms that you aren’t using, analyze the situation. Is their presence on that social media platform beneficial to their success? Would you benefit from creating an account? Ask yourself questions similar to this in regards to everything you learn from your competitors’ websites and social media pages.
While looking into your competition can give you some great insight, there is no better way to measure your online success other than measuring your progress against yourself. When you evaluate your success, you can see what tactics have worked and which have not. With that data, you can move forward in creating a more fitting digital marketing plan for your business.